Friday, September 21, 2012

Revolutionary Love


Today when my daughter Alaina gets home from high school I will hand her a new devotional book by my P31 teammate Lynn Cowell. It's called “Devotions for a Revolutionary Year; 365 Days of Jesus’ Radical Love for You.” I asked Lynn to write Alaina a letter to accompany the book, and I'm posting that letter here today because I think it's good advice for all of us.

 
 
Dear Alaina,

I bet you can’t believe you’re in school already! Summer was so fun and free! Days of pony tails and swimsuits; every day carefree. No worries about make-up. No concerns about your wardrobe.

But now that school is back, the fight is on to hang on to your carefree self. You can probably feel the pull to worry about other people’s opinions, and other people’s pressures.

I want to encourage you to do one thing: pre-decide.

Pre-decide who you are and what you’re going to do.

Now, at the beginning of the school year, make up your mind that you are going to live a life that honors God. A life that stays true to who you are and who God has created you to be: a girl He is wild about (Psalm 45:11).

Pre-decide how you will honor God. Where you will go, what you will do, and who you will be with.

See, when you pre-decide, it takes the emotion out of it. The guy in Algebra that is so cute but definitely not someone you should be crushing on is not texting you about Friday night right now. The group of girls you hang with are not at this moment deciding what to do after the football game. You’re not sitting in Biology right next to the class brain while you are struggling for the answers on the test. You’re not in any of those situations right this moment. So this is a good time to pre-decide how you will handle them.

Decide right now that you won’t look to any guy to fill the love gap in your heart; only Jesus can do that.

Decide right now that at/after football games you’ll only do things you wouldn’t be ashamed for your parents to know about.

Decide right now that you would rather take the F on the test than an A you don’t deserve.

Then, when the situation arises, just stick to that decision you already made, and with the power of the Holy Spirit, live it out.

I don’t mean to make it sound easy; it is anything but. But I will say it is worth it.

I pre-decided. I pre-decided to save my body for my husband one day. That was worth it. I pre-decided not to get involved in things I would be ashamed of later, and my life has had very few regrets. Tests scores? Sure, I could have gotten better grades, but the grades I got were the grades I earned and I felt no guilt about them.

I’m not saying my life is perfect, but it is a blessed life. And I love it!  This is what I want for you, your friends, and the girls of your generation.

Alain, if you want a little encouragement to help you stick to what you pre-decide each day? I’ve got just the tool! I created a 7 Day Faith Builder. For 7 days you can get just what you need to remind yourself of whose you are and why you are making wise decisions each day. Just sigh up online (click here: http://www.lynncowell.com/7-day-faith-builder/)

 Have a terrific year, Alaina! I know that Jesus will be with you all the way!

 ~ Lynn


Note:  To celebrate the release of Lynn's new book, we are giving away over $75 in free content with each purchase of the book. Simply purchase Devotions for a Revolutionary Year for a girl or young woman in your life before October 1st and email your receipt to freebies@lynncowell.com. You will receive an email with a link to this special free content on Lynn’s website at www.LynnCowell.com. Pop over to her site today and check it out all the good stuff she has to offer.


Happy Weekend, Everyone.

 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Every girl going back to school needs a letter like that. You are blessed to be in a circle of women who share these values and more importantly, the love of the Father. Now someone needs to write a letter to her mom, on how to make the most of these years, before they morph into college, and she is gone..... :(

    Blessings to you from AL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Are you volunteering to write that letter to her mom? :)

      Delete
    2. I've got the material and the life experience, just not sure about the writing skills. Lynn's letter set the bar pretty high.

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much for sharing today, Rachel! I hope many moms and life investors are encouraged to write powerful letters to the girls in their lives...and to give them some tools to fill their love gaps with Jesus' love at such a critical time!

      Delete

Chime in.