Thursday, February 2, 2012

Uncommon Life

We've been talking here lately about "feeling a little off," feeling like something is missing.  About striving to create a life for ourselves, only to find the outcome - not to mention the process - just isn't as satisfying as expecteded.

Don't 'cha hate it when that happens? 

Me too. That means we have to go back to the drawing board and rethink our answer to the question, "How can I find contentment, satisfation or joy?"



Max Lucado writes in The Cure for the Common Life, "God grants us an uncommon life to the degree we surrender our common one."

And I write in It's No Secret, "When I stop striving to create a life for myself, I find the life God creates for me."  Max calls this an act of surrender. I call it an act of abandon. We speak of the same thing.

Also in It's No Secret I wrote about the parables of the treasure in the field and the pearl of great price. Both of them teach me to surrender to God. To sell out to Him and His plans for me with abandon. That it will be worth any sacrifice.

The thing is, I find this is a decision I have to make over and over. And over, and over ...
What do you have to choose over and over?

7 comments:

  1. "When I stop striving to create a life for myself, I find the life God creates for me." Rachel...thank you. Thank you for listening, thank you for "being there" and admitting it, thank you for understanding something that I didn't even understand was going on in my life. I have been trying to create my life for a very long time....it's time to surrender to God.... I don't have to be in control all the time, it's exhausting work...I also need to realize it's not about me...I think as mom's, we don't outwardly act selfish, yet I know my thoughts can be selfish, and this gets me into trouble very quickly. I am tired, but I wouldn't change a thing about my life. I am very content, it's just time to surrender to God. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN, Wendy. You are right, it is exhausting work to create a life we think will satisfy. And then it's depressing to get there and find it doesn't quite satisfy! Better to surrender and pray and let God do the creating. Better to watch for His lead and join Him there. Better never to force it.

      I hope you'll keep in touch. 2012 blessings to you.

      Delete
  2. For me, choosing joy is a choice I have to make over and over again some days.

    Thanks, Rachel.

    Jennifer Dougan
    www.jenniferdougan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girlfriend just said that very thing to me the other day, Jennifer. That she has to keep choosing joy. I reckon we all do.

      PS. Did ya like my use of that old, southern word "reckon?" My great-aunt would say that all the time. :)

      Delete
  3. I need to keep choosing the reality of Him at work and alive in me--not me asking God to help me do MY thing. Things are definitely off when I get that backwards, and oh-so-sweet when I am abandoned to Him through me. Love your thoughts, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to keep choosing to speak calmly to my daughter. I have to also keep choosing to let God have His way on a daily basis. The phrase I am continuing to use with my daughter and myself is, "Make good choices that honor God." Daily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to choose to see my identity, my worth, in HIM. Because I often tie my identity or my worth to being a good mama, or an excellent wife, or a good housekeeper, or a good writer, etc. (fill in the blank) instead of who I am in Christ, my happy doesn't last or seems to elude me when I don't seem to measure up to the standard I have set. It's not about who I am but about who HE is. This is what I'm learning.

    ReplyDelete

Chime in.