Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Why I Use Twitter

Are you on Twitter?

I'm not sure how long I've been on Twitter, but I do know it didn't take long for Twitter to become my favorite form of social media.

When I first joined the ranks of those who speak in 140 characters or less, lots of people asked me the same question: Why?  In fact, they often phrased it in the same way, "Why do you care to hear what people had for lunch?"



They were making a huge assumption that all anyone ever did on Twitter was say, "I just had a chicken-salad sandwich."  Or, "Running carpool to the baseball field now."

I'd answer their question by explaining, "The people I follow don't tell me what they had for lunch."

The people I choose to follow on Twitter give me helpful information.
  • They tell me which products or technologies have worked best for them.
  • They tell me what they've read recently that's worth seeing, and give the link.
  • They tell me what's going on in their industries. And in my industry.
  • They tweet Bible verses or share their insight into the gospel.
  • They answer my questions when I ask.
  • They keep me abreast on breaking news.
  • They tweet inspiring quotes.
  • They make me laugh. 
  • They alert me when there's a new post on their blog - giving the topic and link should I be interested. 

All this in a short, digestible, easy to skim format. I use TweetDeck to organize the tweets of those I follow. I sort people into lists with a separate column for each list: Publishing industry folks, P31 girlfriends, Insightful pastors, etc.

Twitter and TweekDeck have pretty much replaced blog subscriptions, Google Reader, and RSS feeds for me. And I waste less time Internet browsing now that I'm on Twitter.

Still don't believe Twitter is helpful?  Check this:



By the way, I really want to know what book that guy is reading - it must be compelling!

So that's why I use Twitter. Because it's helpful, useful, entertaining and very doable for me.

I do have to confess that a couple months ago I started following some fellow foodies on Twitter. These are serious food industry types.  And they sometimes do tweet what they had for lunch.  Believe me their lunches are interesting! So now I have to revise my answer to the "Why do you care what people had for lunch" question.

My new answer is, "That's the beauty of Twitter. It gives you instant access to the people and information that YOU would like to have access to."

Twitter is like the world's coffee shop. Day or night there's community and conversation going on. And all you need is a twitter handle - and maybe a hashtag - to find the people you'd like to chat with and jump into the conversation. Stay awhile and sip a latte, or just get your coffee to go.

So are you on Twitter?  If so, who are some of your favorite people to follow?

You can follow me at @RachelOlsen.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel, No I am not a Twitter, I don't use the computer except to send or recieve e-mail and to leave a quote or 2 on F/B. But I do enjoy you and your Love for Christ! Thank you for sharing with me :). I look forward everyday to my devotionals <3 Blessings sweet Sister!!! Have a Jesus and Twitter fun filled day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bubbly and encouraging personality, Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, OK....you have me re-re-re-considering Twitter! :) Totally have to look into the deck thing.

    Thought of you today -- took the kids bowling and, as usual, brought Clorox wipes and wipes down the table, chairs and bowling bowls (including inside holes). I am completely fine with my obsession with Clorox wipes! :)

    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I joined Twitter because a favorite author was giving away free books to her first five followers. I had no idea I would stumble on such a great place to have conversations with the individuals and ministries I now refer to as "my peeps." I also was able to abandon my list (in a Word Doc) of "Favorite Blogs" and just follow the bloggers on Twitter instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my Twitter! I enjoy hearing what people are up to and I don't feel the least bit guilty if don't keep up.

    I probably have too many faves to mention, but the one thing I love most about Twitter are the Bible verses people send and the links to their devotions (unless I get the same link 5 times in two hours, that's kinda annoying).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a love/hate relationship with Twitter lol. Love because it helps me express what God is doing in my life, God's truth, encourage others and be encouraged in a quick, stress-free way.

    Hate because my tweets are protected (felt the Lord lead me to do this when I first opened due to issues that come with having a Muslim family of origin and some other things) so I can't tweet others who don't "follow" me when they ask questions, post insightful things or need encouragement. And I feel so weird asking people to follow me (incredibly insecure in thinking why would anyone want to follow me? Yes the Lord is working on me concerning that).

    But I chose Twitter over FB because it is less intrusive, gives me little to no opportunity to indulge in judging or gossiping about others and I'm able to connect with individuals in this season of being a Mom to a toddler and pregnant and not having a lot of time to connect in other ways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a love/hate relationship with Twitter lol. Love because it helps me express what God is doing in my life, God's truth, encourage others and be encouraged in a quick, stress-free way.

    Hate because my tweets are protected (felt the Lord lead me to do this when I first opened due to issues that come with having a Muslim family of origin and some other things) so I can't tweet others who don't "follow" me when they ask questions, post insightful things or need encouragement. And I feel so weird asking people to follow me (incredibly insecure in thinking why would anyone want to follow me? Yes the Lord is working on me concerning that).

    But I chose Twitter over FB because it is less intrusive, gives me little to no opportunity to indulge in judging or gossiping about others and I'm able to connect with individuals in this season of being a Mom to a toddler and pregnant and not having a lot of time to connect in other ways.

    ReplyDelete

Chime in.