Monday, May 23, 2011

Hedges, Heat and a Winner

This weekend Rick and I celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary on Saturday. Actually, Rick wound up M.C.ing multiple dance recitals that day for a friend who owns a studio. And I spent much of the afternoon at another friend's birthday party.  But we went out together for a romantic candlelit dinner. And he gave me an electric hedge trimmer.



Yes, you read that right. From Home Depot. Apparently year 18 is lawn and garden power tools.

Now before you get upset for me, this is actually something I asked for. The azalea bushes in my yard were past the point of threatening to take over; they were in charge. I was more than ready to reclaim my dominion.

A couple summers ago I borrowed a neighbor's power hedger and loved using it. With a wave of this electric wand I can bring a shrub to its knees.  OH the power!  (Insert a Tim the Tool Man Taylor-like grunt here.) So I was happy with my hubby and my hedge trimmer gift. Besides, I can always bedazzle it.

I'd show you before & after pics of the azaleas, only I'm not at home to take any. Our A/C picked the week it's going to hit the 90s to run out of freon. In the words of Jane Austin, "What dreadful hot weather we have! It keeps me in a continual state of inelegance."

So I'm hanging out in the air conditioned cafe of a bookstore today. Which is a dangerous place for me to be hopped up on caffeine with a debit card and hours to kill. Somebody come talk me out of buying these books.

I was suppose to make a new fritatta recipe tonight to post tomorrow but I don't think that is going to happen in this heat. Instead I'll make my favorite thing for dinner - reservations.  It can be anniversary part two ... maybe I'll get some flowers this time around.  And when they die I'll mow them down with my shiny new orange and black hedge trimmer.


THE WINNER of this weekend's giveaway is commenter #36 - Julie Spearing.  Congrats Julie.  I'll mail the book to you, and I apologize in advance if it smells a little "inelegant."

9 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 23, 2011

    Happy 18th! - Kimber

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 23, 2011

    Absoutely loved your post today! There is nothing as valuable as a woman with her own power tools! I also loved that you are making you favorite thing for dinner - reservations! I think I will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't help but chuckle as I read your post : ) Gotta a love a woman and her power tools! Happy Anniversary and enjoy Part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could so hear you talking in this post. It was like you were right in front of me and we were having one of our famous marathon convos! Congrats on 18 years to you and Rick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 24, 2011

    Happened over from p31 today and was struck by the fact that Saturday was my own 18th wedding anniversary. I wish I could say it was a happy one. We didn't even acknowledge it although it was in my thoughts. The last year has been especially rough, and I'm not sure what the future holds. I refuse at one level to give up, but I am close to despair. I am trying to remember God's faithfulness, but everything looks dark. Please pray for me, for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annonymous ~ I will pray right now. Hang onto God, dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary! I had to laugh at the trimmer. My favorite mother's day gift thus far has been the recurve breakdown bow they gave me two years ago. It says quite a bit when he knows what you want vs what the ads tell him. Congratulations!
    --SueBE

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy ( late) anniversary Rachel. Anonymous, I am praying for you as well. I know where you are in feeling despair and not knowing what to do. All I can say is keep praying for god's love and guidance for your life and marriage. My marriage ended because I did not trust god with it. Just know he is with you.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Chime in.