Friday, February 11, 2011

Pull Them Close While You Can

I found it enriching to read the comments on the What to Shoot post.  Some of you I identified with.  Some of you I admired.  Some of you I ached for - and I prayed for. I heard all of you express the sentiment that we long to, and need to, pull our loved ones close as much as we can.

Clearly the work/family issue is something that rubs all of us to some extent.  Won't it be nice in heaven ...

Saw this Q&A with financial peace expert Dave Ramsey, which shows me that it affects our men too:

Missing Out

Dear Dave,

I’ve only got a high school education, and I’m stuck in a dead-end job. I’ve always been a hard worker, so the 70-hour weeks don’t bother me. However, I do miss getting to spend time with my kids. I feel like I’m missing out on their lives. Do you have any advice on how to change my situation?

– Scott

Dear Scott,

I think you’ve already solved a lot of the problem by realizing that you’re like a mouse stuck in a wheel. You know you’re not getting anywhere, and you’re ready for things to change. Identifying the problem is a huge step in solving the problem.

Now, mechanically and logistically, how do you make the change when you’re handcuffed to a job that works you 70 hours a week? You’ve got a family to feed, so you can’t just quit your job. But you can talk to your boss, and see if the company will back down on your hours a little bit. Let them know what’s happening with your family, and that you’d like to take some classes and improve yourself and your value in the workplace.

But before you do any of that, you’ve got to have a definite direction in mind. The idea of making more money and working less isn’t the answer. You need an in-depth, detailed game plan for where you want to be in the next three to five years and how to get there. It may involve going back to school for some classes, or even getting a full-blown degree. If you identify your long-term goal in detail, it will lead you to some of the short-term goals that will help you arrive at your final destination.

The best book I’ve ever read on this kind of thing is 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller. He’s my all-time favorite career coach. He’ll lay out the steps to discovering what it is you really love to do and how to get there.

God bless you, Scott! – Dave

Scott's note pulls at my heart-strings. My own husband will be home from work in about 30 minutes, then will leave at 7:30 am tomorrow to take our son on a cub scout camping trip. He won't have a lot of "me time" this weekend. So I'm off to make sure there's a hot meal on the table, his slippers are laid out, and a good movie is picked out on Netflix for tonight. 


Pull your loved ones close and make your weekend warm.

The winner of the book giveaway from this week is Colleen. Congrats! Email me your addy.

PS. I've not read the book Dave recommends, but I know Dan Miller is well respected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chime in.