Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Worth Celebrating

This Sunday - Easter Sunday - is no more or less holy than any other day in my life. Jesus died for all our days - for our ability to wake up on any given Tuesday in June, or Friday in December, or Monday in May filled with God's Spirit.

Nonetheless, Easter is a special time of remembering and rejoicing! For me, it is important to recall what happened in Jesus' life during that holy week some 2000 years ago. To identify with Him in His passion and in His pain, as well as in His triumph.

I find it equally important to reflect on what's happened in my life since I grasped the utter importance of Jesus’ life, death and resurrection for me. Paul writes:

"You can readily recall, can't you, how at one time the more you did just what you felt like doing—not caring about others, not caring about God—the worse your life became and the less freedom you had? And how much different is it now as you live in God's freedom, your lives healed and expansive in holiness?"
~ Romans 6:19 (MSG)

Yes, Paul, I can recall. I remember it with a shudder. Followed by waves of thankfulness rippling through my soul. I am now, in Christ, redeemed. I am cleansed and set free. I'm more knowledgeable of Truth, and its source. I am less critical; less cynical. I am more trusting, and more trust worthy. I am less dominated by unruly emotions, more centered in the unchanging foundation of the world. I can overcome temptation. I can access strength beyond my own. I can love. Really, truly, love. And I have joy.

All this propels me to celebrate the goodness of life in Christ this week. Not to just put on a flowery dress and attend church on Sunday, but to c-e-l-e-b-r-a-t-e with mindfulness and gratefulness. I purpose not to let a single blessing of life in Christ, or the smallest gift from my Father's hand slip by me unnoticed or unacknowledged  this week. I will drink in the scriptures and let them wash through my thoughts. I will pull my family close and love them through their imperfections and mine. And when I say grace before a meal, I will remember the Bread of Christ, broken for me some 2000 years ago.

I invite you to join me.

Thankful for the sacrifice God made through Christ to bring you and me to Himself.

10 comments:

  1. Thank You for your sacrifice Lord!
    Praise You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep forgetting to mention here how much I love your blog's new look - it says 'home' to me.
    I too am celebrating this week. Celebrating my freedom.

    Have you read Reliving the Passion by Walter Wangerin? I am reading through it for the first time this Lenten season and it has truly messed me up and I am praying I never recover from it. I think you would love it and appreciate the way Wangerin writes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, O'Nealya. I haven't read Wangerin's book, but will look for it. Have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THank you Lord that you love me so much and mercy on me. I love you so much.,

    Thanks Rachel for beautiful words.

    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Rachel for the wondrous reminder of what our Lord Jesus Christ has done - and daily does - for us!

    Easter blessings to you and yours!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Jesus is so amazing! I thank Him for what He has done...and what He continues to do. His name still saves and His blood still heals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I recently read another blog that really made to stop to remember, As Christians, it’s important to that our foundation is built on Christ. Even if everything is falling down around you, remember you must have a strong foundation — one that cannot be destroyed. Thank you for reminding all of us the real meaning of Easter. Hope you have a wonderful and blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your post. I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful devotion and I love this post. Just love how you shared your heart's pray. Ditto ditto ditto! :)

    Joyous Easter Blessings to you and yours!

    From womb to tomb....and raised again. He is alive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I needed this. Beautifully written to glorify God! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Chime in.