Friday, November 20, 2009

The Face of Christ

The painter Mike Lewis came to our church last Sunday and helped us wrap up a sermon series on Jesus. Here are two of the paintings he did during the service I attended.





The cool thing is that these images of Jesus don't emerge until the very end. Before that he is painting other scenes such as the cross. And then with just a couple brush strokes, suddenly the face of Christ appears. In all His simple yet powerful glory.




I especially like the humility that seemed to drip from Mike Lewis like paint on a canvas. He let Jesus shine. If you are perchance interested in owning one of these paintings (yes, I worked the word "perchance" into a blog post about paintings), my church is holding an online auction for 6 of them this Saturday through Tuesday (11/24). Email me and I'll send you a link to learn more or to bid.

Have you ever tried drawing or painting Jesus? I'm not much of a painter, except walls. I love to paint rooms.

OK, time for a little confession .... when I was like 22 and a new Christian, I once bought a bust of Socrates at a thrift market thinking that it was Jesus. My husband and sister-in-law laughed at me over that forever. But I kept it for years because to me, I saw Jesus when I looked at it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

Which of these paintings is your favorite? I tend to favor the second one, but then the tear on the first one kinda of gets to me ...

5 comments:

  1. I like the second one best. They are both amazing! But the eyes in the second one are calming to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely the second one. There's such calm/confidence/peace/strength in his expression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the first one becuase of the colors. It seems like Christ on the cross. But i like the eyes in the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the second one....the eyes seem to cut right through to my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of them a wonderful. I can't choose between the two. I think I would need to see it in person. Is the auction still on?

    ReplyDelete

Chime in.