Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Advent Day 11

Welcome if you're visiting me from my friend Karen's blog where she is doing 12 Days of Christmas and today I'm featured. I'm giving away a Starbucks gift card so pop over there to enter!

When I think of Advent, I think of a big wooden door -- like maybe one found on a cathedral, or a monastery, or maybe just an old ancient inn. I imagine Jesus on the other side of it ... knocking. My heart beats faster. I imagine a key turning the lock ... I hear the lock release ... then I see the knob beginning to turn, and I know that it is the hand of my Lord turning it from the other side. I realize I'm about to come face to face with Him.

Can you feel the excitement of it? Can you sense the anticipation? That's what Advent season is all about!



Even my beloved Starbucks has put out an advent calendar this year. I don't have one but I understand its filled with chocolate.


Luke 2:15-16
When the angels had returned to heaven, the shepherds said to each other, “Let’s go to Bethlehem! Let’s see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

They hurried to the village and found Mary and Joseph. And there was the baby, lying in the manger.

Isaiah 52:13-15
See, my servant will prosper; he will be highly exalted. But many were amazed when they saw him. His face was so disfigured he seemed hardly human, and from his appearance, one would scarcely know he was a man. And he will startle many nations. Kings will stand speechless in his presence. For they will see what they had not been told; they will understand what they had not heard about.

4 comments:

  1. Chocolate, hu? I really like that advent Chritmas tree. Do you know where to get one? Was that the one at Starbucks?

    My days got hectic but I had a chance to play catch-up this morning. Thank you for posting these advent verses. I am enjoying this. Your Colorago pictures are beautiful! What a great place to have been!!

    Blessing!

    In His Graces~Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. The visual of these readings just gets me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,
    I came across your blog about Advent. Each year I get caught up in the worry of what to buy my family. I was feeling really far from God and what the real meaning of christmas was again this year. I wanted God to do something in my life to bring Christ back into christmas.

    Last night my daughter and I were out together getting ice cream and she told me something she had came across on the web. The site is called "The Gift Revolution". You are to do something kind for someone for 25 days to inspire the world and post your story.

    Here is my daughter's story---

    "Revolution by Accident" (12/9/08)

    Just found this website by accident during one of my woe is me parties... boy was I humbled QUICK. I quickly got over myself and jumped on board this revolution. I have some catching up to do so yesterday I tried to get in as many pay it forwards as I could; I was able to do six and today my kids and I put $3.00s (the only cash in my purse) into the inside of a baby formula lid with a card, instead of buying our usual snacks at Walmart in hopes of letting another mom and her kids enjoy a treat on someone else. I've only been doing this for two days now, but I already feel like a better person, someone I've missed for a long time now.

    While we were at the ice cream shop a car drove up in the drive through window and my daughter said mom want to pay it forward? Sure I said. she have $3.00s and I $4.00. We told the cashier when the car in the drive through orders give them the pay it forward card and tell them their order was paid for already. We sat there talking and than the door open in the shop and a lady and two little girls walked in. The lady ask if we were the ones who paid for her daughters ice cream. We said yes and she said thank you and said I will pay it forward as well. I can't tell you how happy I felt. It was great. We left the shop and my daughter went her way with my grandkids and I mine. Later that evening she called in tears mom listen to this she said its from the The Gift Revolution site. This is what she read.

    HOPE!!
    I am a 17 year old mom and I have an 8 month old son I try very hard to support him in the best way so he can have a great life. I go to school and work. Yesterday evening (12/9/08) I went to Walmart to buy his formula which is not cheap when I got home and I opened the lid there was money and the gift of revolution card in it. It gave me much hope I know I can do it and no matter what my age is my son is loved so much.

    We both cried on the phone.

    I got up this morning and befor coming to work I went to Walmart and bought a gift card. I paid the cashier and put the gift card in the little envelope with the pay it forward card and gave it back to the cashier and said the next person who comes into your line give them the card. She just looked at me and I smiled and said have a good day and walked away feeling a better person.

    I know this was long but I just felt I needed to share. I hope you can pass this along for someone out there who needs their spirit lifted by helping someone else. It was just what I needed from God to bring Christ back into my CHRISTMAS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat story, TAC... Thank you for sharing with us!

    And thank you, Rachel, for sharing your imagery and some scriptures for us to meditate on.

    Be Blessed...

    ReplyDelete

Chime in.